Robotics Innovation and Requirements in the Field
By Ricky Young
Our JANUS Team of highly qualified professionals provide services for capability development, analysis, requirements determination and project support services for the Army Futures Command (AFC), Futures and Concepts Center (FCC), Maneuver Capabilities Development and Integration Directorate (MCDID), and Robotics Requirements Division (RRD) at Fort Benning, GA. JANUS performs key roles in the Joint Capability Integration and Development System (JCIDS) process with a robotic and autonomous systems focus and supports the Capability Development Integration Directorate (CDID) in leading the assessment of robotic system capabilities to identify gaps and develop Doctrine, Organization, Training, Material, Leadership and Education, Personnel, Facilities and Policy (DOTMLPF-P) requirements to resolve identified gaps. JANUS' RRD team works with MCDID to support the JCIDS Capability Based Assessment by providing identification of needs by combining joint concepts with analysis, the management of Maneuver Center of Excellence (MCoE) operational architectures, and the management of the MCoE Test and Evaluation requirements.
THE JANUS OBJECTIVE
The primary objective of RRD is to conduct the necessary research and analysis to identify and document capability gaps and solutions within the Joint Capability Integration and Development Systems for legacy, current and future robotic and autonomous systems. JANUS provides Subject Matter Expertise to RRD in six key areas:
1) Small Unmanned Aerial Systems (SUAS)
2) Unattended Ground Robotic Vehicles (UGV)
3) Unattended Ground Sensors (UGS)
4) Robotic Applique and Enablers
5) Strategic Planning Support
6) Operations Support
JANUS provides JCIDS input to all RRD efforts with research and writing support to legacy, current, new start and Army directed products and initiatives.
Small Unmanned Aerial Systems (SUAS)
Approved JCIDs capability documents that are between Milestone A and post Milestone C in the DAS and can include but are not limited to RAVEN and PUMA. These new starts and directed requirements focus on Soldier Bourne Sensor (SBS), Short Range Reconnaissance (SRR), and Long-Range Reconnaissance (LRR).
Unmanned Ground Robotic Systems (UGV/UGS) and Unattended Ground Sensors (UGS)
Program support requirements include Common Robotic System-Individual (CRS-I), Squad Multipurpose Equipment Transport (SMET), Family of Integrated Tactical Systems (FITS) and various sensors that are integrated into various systems integrated into vehicles and systems supporting the dismounted force.
Robotic Applique and Robotic Enablers
These Soldier support and enhancement systems may include but are not limited to Exoskeleton, Bionic Boot, Leader Follower, Automated Convoy Operations, and the Warrior Suit.
Strategic Planning Support
JANUS performs operational analysis for 25 (emerging, current, and legacy) ground, air, and robotic applique programs such as CRS-I, SMET, SBS, SUAS, and Exoskeleton. By reviewing and aligning documents to fit within the approved Robotics and Autonomous Systems (RAS) Strategy, JANUS co-develops the execution of the RAS Execution and Implementation Strategy. JANUS works closely with the Army Capability Managers (ACM) to identify capability gaps and assign robotic technologies to those gaps as needed. JANUS also works closely with the Maneuver Battle Lab, the Robotics Enhancement Program and various Army Development and Engineering Centers (DEDC) to coordinate and track the integration of robotic products and applique into the various testing programs to include the Army Expeditionary Warrior Experiment (AEWE), Joint Warfighter Assessment (JWA), TRAD Analysis Center (TRAC-WSMR), Army Testing Command (ATEC), etc.
JANUS provides seamless integration between AFC, CDID and RRD through the application of their expertise and advance knowledge of army operations and RRD priorities to provide daily operational support. Capability developers find solutions to complex operational problems and identify new technical tools and capabilities to advance military operations. JANUS integrates themselves into the mission further through the maintenance of weekly operational updates, formulation of critical meeting executive summaries and After-Action Reports (AARs). Objectives and goals are strategically mapped out, planned, and managed via a database of all relevant RRD documentation and reference materials to include but not limited to regulations, policies, strategies, etc. All RRD strategies and practices are ensured to align with Army objectives, regulations and policies and remain up to date on all AFC, JCIDs and DoD policies and guidance. The JANUS team coordinates as directed with the Army G8 to maintain oversight of fluctuations and impact of Army funding within the Robotics portfolio. Lastly, they prepare briefings and supporting documentation for Strategic Portfolio Analysis and Review (SPAR), Program Objective Memorandum (POM), and Budget Deep Dives.
CUSTOMER BENEFITS AND FEEDBACK
The JANUS team developed capability documents monitoring and maintaining tests and demonstrations during research, development, testing and evaluation (RDT&E) as well as procurement phases. The outcome of this service was approved and validated JCIDS capability documents supporting the Defense Acquisition System (DAS) and Planning, Programing, Budgeting, and Execution (PPBE) system. The JANUS team developed the Common Robotic System (Individual), the Army's first Program of Record for a back-packable robot providing dismounted Soldiers increased standoff capability from hazardous threats. Overall, JANUS efforts provided FCC with advanced military operations, increased capabilities, and improved Soldier performance in combat environments.
Latest News View All
- DAVID POLIZZOTTI AWARDED JANUS RESEARCH GROUP ENERGY AWARD JANUS Research Group (JANUS) is pleased to present Mr. David Polizzotti with an Energy Award for his work under the Army and Joint Concept Division Task Order (TO). (5/26/2023)
- ERIC LOWRY AWARDED JANUS RESEARCH GROUP ENERGY AWARD JANUS Research Group and the Capability, Integration and Sustainment Solutions (CIS2) team are pleased to present Eric Lowry with the JANUS Energy Award in recognition of his work under the Futures and Concepts Center (FCC) Architecture Integration Management Division (AIMD) contract. (5/25/2023)
- JACQUELINE CHRABOT AWARDED JANUS RESEARCH GROUP ENERGY AWARD JANUS Research Group is pleased to present Jacqueline Chrabot with an Energy Award in recognition of her outstanding level of skill, proficiency and dedication in providing technical support and analysis for the Career-Long Learning Continuum (CLLC) project. (5/15/2023)
- JANUS RESEARCH GROUP AWARDED NAVAL FACILITIES ENGINEERING SYSTEMS COMMAND TRAINING SUPPORT AGENCY TASK ORDER The objective of this TO is to obtain professional support services in the areas of Manpower, Personnel, Training and Education (MPT&E) and Instructional Systems Design in support of NAVFAC TSA at Port Hueneme, CA. (5/4/2023)