The Naval Sea Systems Command (NAVSEA) procures over a half billion dollars of Professional Support Services (PSS) each year for its headquarters' Directorates, Program Executive Offices (PEOs), and field activities. In order to meet the Navy strategic sourcing wedge, NAVSEA committed to $250M in savings by procuring PSS more efficiently.
Coupled with this need, the Office of the Secretary of Defense (OSD) directed that 50% of all support services be procured using performance based contracting by the year 2005.
Furthermore, NAVSEA had more than 450 separate PSS contracts supporting its requirements. Most of these efforts were not integrated from a Command perspective, utilized a multitude of different processes in which to procure the services, and did not leverage corporate buying habits or e-business to facilitate the processes. In addition, the services were predominantly procured via level of effort vice performance-based terms.
NAVSEA established the SeaPort Office to meet the NAVSEA strategic sourcing wedge and the OSD performance based contracting directive while bringing order to NAVSEA PSS acquisitions. The vision was to provide a faster, better, and cheaper means in which to procure PSS. The strategy developed in October 2000 involved a product line solution containing three components:
- Develop and award Multiple Award IDIQ contracts (MACs) using innovative acquisition techniques to achieve the NAVSEA strategic wedge, to conform to the OSD performance based contracting directive, and to bring order to PSS acquisitions.
- Exploit existing e-business opportunities and create an automated, intuitive, web-based, e-procurement portal to provide services quickly and easily in an "amazon.com" environment.
- Create a web site continually refreshing customers and suppliers with new information, opportunities, training, metrics and useful links to associate sites.
An important tactic used to implement this vision and obtain "buy-in" was to involve senior leadership and working level representatives in the design and implementation of the MACs and the portal through multiple "Integrated Product Teams (IPTs)". These IPTs continuously and aggressively communicated the vision, strategy, and status to leadership at all working levels.
On April 2, 2001, in an unprecedented period of less than 6 months, SeaPort became a reality when all three of these initiatives converged. The MACs were awarded to twenty-one exceptionally well qualified industry partners, the e-business portal became operational, and its front door web site,www.seaport.navy.mil, was launched. These components combined to provide a faster, better and cheaper process to acquire PSS within the Command.
Additionally, you can obtain information about our SeaPort-e Team members and acquire about partnering opportunities with JANUS on the SeaPort-e vehicle by utilizing our Contacts page. Additional information about the JANUS SeaPort-e Contract can be obtained at the SeaPort-e main site. We are also providing you with an in-depth look at our Quality Assurance Plan (QAP) located on this site.
Address: 600 Ponder Place Drive,
Evans, GA 30809
For more information or if you are interested in teaming with us please contact: Mr. Gary Ostby, firstname.lastname@example.org, 503.559.6234
Latest News View All
- JANUS RESEARCH GROUP FUTURES AND CONCEPTS CENTER DIRECTORATE OF CONCEPTS ARMY AND JOINT CONCEPT DIVISION SUPPORT TASK ORDER JANUS Research Group LLC (JANUS) has been awarded four- and half-year Task Order to provide Support Services to the Futures and Concepts Center (FCC), Directorate of Concepts (DoC) Army and Joint Concept Divisions. (9/29/2022)
- RUBEN DOMINGUEZ AND RICARDO VALENZUELA AWARDED JANUS RESEARCH ENERGY AWARD FOR WORK WITH PROJECT CONVERGENCE 2022 JOINT ALL-DOMAIN COMMAND AND CONTROL NETWORK Ruben Dominguez and Ricardo Valenzuela have been awarded JANUS Research Group's Energy Award for the exemplary work they have performed setting conditions for flawless functionality of the Project Convergence 2022 Joint All-Domain Command and Control (PC 22 JADC2) network. (9/28/2022)
- CHARLES HOVER AWARDED JANUS RESEARCH GROUP ENERGY AWARD JANUS Research Group LLC (JANUS) has awarded Charles Hover an Energy Award for his outstanding service as Site Lead for Operational Architecture at the Aviation Center of Excellence and Capability Development Integration Directorate (CDID). Other than a 6-year break working for TCM UAS, Charles has been working this program since February 1997 when it was called C4RDP. (9/12/2022)
- JANUS RESEARCH GROUP AWARDED FUTURES AND CONCEPTS CENTER FUTURE STUDY PLAN TASK ORDER JANUS Research Group (JANUS) has been awarded a four-year, $12 million task order to provide the Future Warfare Division (FWD) with Future Study Program (FSP) Events support services that include administrative, production, event execution, analysis, and analytical integration support in executing the FSP. (8/5/2022)